Get Ready for Summer Reading
Summer is almost upon us and so are thoughts of summer reading. Every year, educators look for ways to stem the tide of summer learning loss, as well as tips and tricks to keep kids and teens excited about reading. Who can help? Read Across America partners, of course!
- Download summer reading tips from NEA
- PBS Tips for Summer Reading provides resources to help parents get their kids reading
- Readkiddoread has book recommendations for all age ranges, with the goal of making kids readers for life
- LDOnline offers resources for parents and educators of children with learning disabilities
- Librarians' Super Summer Reading Choices for Teens provides book recommendations tailored to a young adult audience
- Reading Rockets has prepared a beach bag of tips, tricks, and booklists, plus tips on finding a good summer reading program.
- Adlit.org and Teenreads.com offer booklists, author interviews, and book reviews to keep teens connected to books.
- Reading Is Fundamental has organized a "Read With Kids Challenge" with US Airways, challenging you to log your minutes.
- Kidthing.com/nea offers free digital downloads of NEA’s featured book and links to additional books to share throughout the summer.
- The National Center for Summer Learning offers research and reasons why summer learning programs are key to academic achievement.