Academic Content Standards and Development of Model Curriculum
In June 2010, the State Board of Education adopted the Common Core State Standards in English language arts and mathematics as well as the revisions to Ohio’s academic content standards in science and social studies. The standards will be effective when newly aligned assessments are implemented in several years.
ODE is now working on the next phase of refining Ohio's Comprehensive Educational System with the development of a Model Curriculum, which will be a Web-based tool for educators. During the summer and fall of 2010, teachers across Ohio worked collaboratively in teams to suggest instructional strategies and resources that align with the revised standards. Drafts of Model Curriculum by Grade Level and Course, along with a survey link to offer feedback, can be found at the links below.
- English Language Arts Model Curriculum (Web page)
- Mathematics Model Curriculum (Web page)
- Science Model Curriculum (Web page)
- Social Studies Model Curriculum (Web page)
By following the links below, you will find content-specific standards. In addition, teachers will want to review the history of Ohio's standards review process provided at the bottom of this page.
English Language Arts
- Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts (Website)
- English Language Arts Background Information and Staff Contacts (Website)
- Common Core State Standards in Mathematics (Website)
- Mathematics Background Information and Staff Contacts (Website)
Revision Process History
The standards revision process began with an international benchmarking research study, focused on the content standards of top-performing nations, to identify best practices from around the world. Other sources for the revision include expert reviews of the current standards, college- and career-readiness standards, and local stakeholder input.
- First Lens of International Benchmarking Report (DRAFT) (PDF)
- May 2010 Presentation to the Ohio State Board of Education (PowerPoint)
For more information, visit www.corestandards.org.